XLIT Full Change Log
Version 2.4 - 2008-12-29
- A bug that interfered with running in batch mode has been fixed.
- Tk 8.5+ on X11 is now detected and font sizes appropriately modified.
- The license is now GPL version 3.
- Configuration files that load plugins now work properly with the GUI.
- Configuration files generated by xlit's Save Configuration command,
which contain commands related to the GUI, no longer trigger errors when read in batch mode.
- The popup for inserting accented letters has been improved, with more
characters and upper case versions of the letters available on a right button press.
- The number of columns in the accented character widget can now be set from the
initialization file using the command AccentedLetterColumns.
- A bug was fixed in which xlit attempted to popup an error alert when running in batch mode without the GUI.
- Plugins are now permitted to write to stderr so as to emit error messages.
- The number of parse errors encountered is now reported.
- Plugins are now executed in a safe interpreter, which prevents them from writing files
and performing other insecure operations.
- It is now possible to specify that the transliteration should be performed by an external
- It is now possible to specify that the transliteration should be performed by a plugin
written in Tcl.
- The init file command DuplicateSelection now accepts a wider range of arguments including
- A bug was fixed in which xlit incorrectly claimed not to have found any embedded regions
when the parse type was Unpaired Single Character
- A bug was fixed in which the right delimiter was not emitted when delimiting the
output or deuplicate when the parse type was Unpaired Single Character.
- This version contains a workaround for a bug in the MS Windows implementation of
Tcl that triggers an error on startup when the font control panel is created. (The
bug is that Tcl fails to recognize 0xFF as a hexadecimal number.)
- An initialization file command DefineShortcut has been added that allows the user to define
- Attempts to transliterate when no transliteration has been defined or when
there is no text to transliterate are now trapped.
- The Help menu has been reorganized and the menu buttons for the various popups
made into toggles.
- Bugs in the Save Configuration command were fixed.
- Some cosmetic improvements have been made.
- Validation of codepoints in the popup for entering characters by codepoint has been improved.
The message window is now cleared at the beginning of each attempt to insert a character.
The popup now has a title.
- Bugs that prevented the various search popups from being created were fixed.
- The time and date of the last modification are now added to the version
number in the window title and the About and BugReports popups.
- The syntax of calls to the trace command was modernized in view of the deprecation
of the original syntax.
- Added the missing subroutine ScaleMoveBigIncrement, without which right-clicking
on scales triggered an error.
- Added the missing subroutine BindInsertionTarget, without which the character insertion
tools would not insert characters into the font control panel example boxes.
- A bug in the insertion of domain separators on output that put an extra one at the
end of the text was fixed.
- "Unpaired Delimiters" and "Unpaired Characters" were renamed "Separator Character" for clarity.
- It is now possible to run the program in batch mode, without the GUI.
In fact, in batch mode, it is not necessary for Tk or a window system to be present at all
A command line option was added to specify batch mode.
- It is now possible to specify what delimiters to use, if any, on output.
- The requirement that there be at least one transliteration rule was eliminated.
In the absence of any rules, the identity mapping is performed. This makes
sense if the purpose is to change delimiters.
- A command line option was added for specifying the configuration file to read in place
of the usual init file.
- A bug was fixed that made the widget for inserting characters
by their Unicode codepoint insert them into itself.
- A bug was fixed that triggered an error when the widget for
inserting characters by their Unicode codepoint was dismissed.
- A bug was fixed whereby the usage message mis-identified the program.
- The program can now be configured via an initialization file.
- A command line flag was added for suppressing reading of the initialization file.
- The editing controls are now hidden by default.
- Balloon help was added for the transliteration editing balloons.
- The font control panel was improved.
- Various improvements were made to the character entry widgets. As a consequence,
the format for custom character chart definitions has changed. Old style definitions will not work.
- The Miscellaneous menu has been reorganized.
- The size of the message region is now controlled properly.
- Added arbitrary paired strings as delimiters and as duplicate delimiters.
- Added entry numbers between left hand side and right hand side.
- Added command line options for specifying transliteration definition
and text to be transliterated.
- Added help popups ExplainXML, ExplainPairedDelimiters, and ExplainUnlimited.
- The Miscellaneous menu was reorganized and some toggles replaced with checkbuttons.
- Clarified menu entries on Clear menu.
- Added help entry on command line options.
- Moved manual to /usr/share/Xlit.
- Updated URLs in help system.
- Under Mac OS X Xlit now detects that the window/graphics system is Tk-Aqua
and adapts itself.
- Xlit's identification of the operating system has been improved.
- Transliteration files may now include comments.
- Where the number of input lines is not the same on the
two sides of the transliteration, we no longer treat
this as a fatal error. It happens all too easily,
and as things were arranged before, led to a perplexing
declaration that no transliteration was available.
Instead, we ignore the excess lines and pop up a
- The ability to read Yudit files containing hexadecimal character codes
on the left-hand side has been added.
- Instead of just trying to use the default browser, xlit now
works through a list of browsers, trying each in turn.
- The reference manual has been updated.
- Replaced the character insertion code with a new version that is cleaner.
The new version also fixes a bug which caused the delete button on the widget
for inserting characters by Unicode codepoint to affect the wrong window under
certain circumstances. Two typos in the glosses for accented characters were corrected.
- Controls were added for editing the transliteration.
- Xlit can now read and write Yudit .kmap files in addition to its own transliteration file format
- Display of scrollbars is now optional.
- The duplication dialog has been moved to the top level of the Miscellaneous menu.
- The accented character entry widget has been improved.
- Users can now define their own charecter entry widgets.
- An estimate of time remaining is now displayed.