SndBite Full Change Log
- Fixed a bug that interfered with the definition of keyboard shortcuts in the init file.
- Expanded the set of keyboard events permitted in keyboard shortcuts to
include the arrow keys (KeyPress-Up, KeyPress-Left, etc.) and
KeyPress-Home (Home), KeyPress-End (End), KeyPress-Prior (Page Up),
and KeyPress-Next (Page-Down), KeyPress-Delete, KeyPress-Insert, KeyPress-Multi_Key
(Windows key) and KeyPress-Menu.
- We now update so as to force the immediate display of the message reporting the
loading of a sound file.
- We now report that silences are being computed at the beginning of auto computation
of silences and report the completion and duration of silence computation whether
or not in debugging mode.
- We now check to see whether we are running in Tk8.5+ under X11 and if so use smaller font sizes.
- The delta bar is now hidden by default.
- Eliminated output to stdout and stderr on non-Unix systems.
- Added default key bindings for OverWritePreviousFile and WindowBackwardSilence.
Changed key-binding for ToggleBalloonHelp from ^-b to ^-h so as
to use ^-b for WindowBackwardSilence in symmetry with WindowForwardSilence which is ^-f.
- The available version of pause is now shown in the window title only if UsePauseP is set.
- Added the ability to use keyboard shortcuts for changing playback
volume and created default bindings.
- Inability to open a sound file named on the command line is now handled gracefully.
- Now minimize sound file name in WriteWindow.
- Fixed bug that produced incorrect indication of whether AutoPlay was on.
- Added autoplay when window edges are reset by mouse.
- Supressed autoplay of first window when an audio file is specified on the command line.
- Now minimize sound file name.
- Fixes the bug in which right-clicking in the neighborhood window past the
end of the waveform caused a crash.
- A right click over the entry for the next file name clears it.
- Added the option of displaying the amplitude along with the location of the pointer.
This is useful for setting the silence/sound threshold.
- Messages and log entries for overwrites of the previous file now indicate that
the write was an overwrite.
- Various times are now given in minutes and seconds rather than just seconds.
- Autoplay is now the default.
- The Iwidgets library is now optional.
- Added popup with write history.
- The "Write Window" button is now disabled while the overwrite popup is displayed.
- Saving pause parameters automatically causes recomputation of silences if a sound file has been loaded.
- Now trim leading zeros to prevent interpretation of output file index as octal.
- Eliminated duplicate journal entries on writes.
- Eliminated journal entries for trivia such as window motion.
- Fixed bug that resulted in truncation of saved configuration file.
- The journal is now written by default into the current directory. Whether to use the current directory or the home directory is now settable from the init file.
- The journal file on non-Windows sytems is now named SndBite.log, making it visible
by default in Unix shells.
SndBite is now able to locate silences by itself: it is no longer necessary to use
This simplifies installation as it is no longer
necessary to compile and install pause and libsndfile.
Pause may still be used if you prefer.
A command has been aded for saving the silence list to a file.
The license is now GPL version 3.
- Bugs in some command line flags have been fixed.
- The accented letter chart has been improved with the addition of quite a few
characters, including upper-case counterparts obtained by right-clicking.
- Keyboard shortcuts may now be defined in the user's initialization file using the
- Fixed a bug that triggered an error exit if pause is not available.
- A workaround was added for a critical bug in the MS Windows implementation of Tcl.
(This bug is fixed in Tcl 8.5, now in beta.)
- It is now possible to read a list of segment file names from a file rather than
generating them. The list may be read by means of a command or it may be autoloaded
whenever a sound file is loaded.
- Segment file names are now constructed from a prefix, an index, a suffix, and an
extension rather than just the first three components.
- A bug was fixed that produced weirdness if the panel character entry chart was redefined.
- The reference manual has been updated substantially.
- Added command line flag -f for executing a script from a file following initialization.
- Added a command for executing a script from a file to the File menu.
- Added the ability to run in batch mode. In batch mode the GUI is not created; commands
must be read from a script using the -f flag. The command line flag -b causes SndBite to run
in batch mode.
- When the window is written by WriteWindow, the region written is now
extended in each direction by WriteMargin. The default is 0.0. A command for setting
this was added and exposed.
- Added commands for listing the Tcl commands exposed in slave interpreters
to the Help menu.
- Added commands for listing the SndBite commands exposed for use in scripts
to the Help menu.
- Added a command for listing the valid color names to the Help menu.
- The region written by the command WriteWindow is automatically extended on both sides
by a margin which may be set by the command WriteMargin from the initialization file or
from a script file. The default value is 0.
- If a silences file is readable but empty, this is now explicitly indicated
by a message.
- Added Help menu entry for "Command Line Options".
- Added the missing subroutine BindInsertionTarget, without which it is
impossible to use the character entry tools to enter characters into the
font control panel example boxes.
- Fixed bug in accented letter entry widget - wrong character code for
i with double grave.
- The overall appearence has been improved and numerous details adjusted.
- The configuration system now traps most errors (unrecognized command,
incorrect valence, non-Boolean value where a Boolean is required, and invalid color
specification) in the slave interpreter, which
produces more useful error messages and allows the rest of the init file to be read.
- A bug that made the execution of Pause as a child process unreliable was fixed.
- The usual command line flags for version, usage, preventing reading of the init file,
and setting the debug flag have been added.
- All Boolean initialization file commands now end in P.
- The Configure menu has been reorganized.
- The format of the specifications for custom character insertion widgets has been changed.
Previously, characters were specified by means of their hexadecimal Unicode
codepoints without any prefix and separated by whitespace, e.g. 0561 0061.
Characters are now to be prefixed with \u and whitespace becomes significant.
- The character insertion tools have been improved in various ways.
- A new and improved font control panel has been added.
- The set of properties configurable from the init file has been greatly enlarged.
- A Save State command was added. This command writes out a file of commands which,
if executed as the initialization file, will recreate the current configuration.
- A bug in which clicking on "Stop Play" before anything had been played triggered
an error has been fixed.
- A bug was fixed that resulted in a divide-by-zero error if the user tried to play a
window consisting entirely of silence with volume autoscaling enabled.
- A bug was fixed in which the first lazy susan panel shown depended on the number
of panels displayed. The first panel on startup is now always the sound
file name panel.
- SndBite does a better job of identifying the operating system and grpahics system.
- If SndBite determines that the underlying graphics system is Tk-Aqua,
it adapts itself to the contraints imposed by Aqua.
- Both the left and right silences are now marked on the silence list.
- Bugs that caused off-by-one errors in the marking on the silence list of
the silences that define the window boundaries have been fixed.
- SndBite now searches a list of browsers until one is found. The default
browser is placed at the head of the list.
The option of automatically running pause and loading the resulting silence
file when a sound file is read was added. This option is enabled by default.
It can be set via the init file and the Configure menu.
- The character entry code has been replaced with a new, cleaner
version that also fixes some minor bugs.
- The message that says such-and-such a region written to such-and-such
a file now uses units of samples or seconds according as the neighborhood
window is set to use samples or seconds.
- When a panel is inserted into the list, it is now displayed if it is in the appropriate
section of the list. It is no longer necessary for the user to rotate the lazy Susan
to cause the new panel to appear.
- When the right edge of the window is moved leftward by silence, it is now prevented
from passing the left edge.
- When the left edge of the window is moved rightward by silence, it is now prevented
from passing the right edge.
- The sound file information panel now gives the length of the file in minutes and seconds.
The encoding of the file is no longer shown.
The precision of the location in seconds of zero-crossings has been increased
in messages reporting movement of window boundaries to zero-crossings so that
they do not seem not to move when in fact they are moving.
- The reference manual is now located in /usr/share/SndBite on non-Microsoft systems.
- The reference manual has been updated.